A Working Mom’s Opinion: How to create the life you really want to live
One day my little boy came home with a piece of paper from pre-school. On it were his answers to questions about his mom.
What does your mommy love most?
One of the questions was fill in the blank, “My mommy LOVES to…”
His answer SHOCKED me. But, there it was in four undeniable words: “Work on her computer.”
When I read it I felt inexplicably sad. My little boy was WRONG. SO WRONG. What I love most is to be with him and his sister. What I love most about my life is being their mom.
That wasn’t his perspective. And when I thought more about it, his answer made sense.
My 4 Year Old’s Answer Deeply Bothered Me
My son was equating ‘how I spend my time’ with ‘what I love the most.’
As the days passed, his answer bothered me more and more. I was asking myself questions like…
- What am I doing wrong?
- How can I change I show my children that they are what I love the most?
- Why is the time that my kids deserve consumed by my work?
- Is there a change that I can make TODAY that will help me put my family first and my work second? (keeping in mind that I am a single mom and paying the bills and providing is a TOP priority)
The Problem with Living Life on the Defense
Sometimes things are so busy in our lives as women that we are just flying forward, full steam ahead. It can easily feel like a stranger has grabbed the wheel of your life and is taking you off course. If your life feels like this you are living on the defense, not the offense. Instead of creating a plan for the future your future is happening to you. When this begins to happen your life might not look exactly the way you hoped. And, when it comes down to it
Torn Between Love for Our Families & Providing/Pursuing Careers
We are pulled in so many directions as women. We have so many roles that we play within our worlds and when there is so much vying for our attention it is TOO EASY for our priorities to get out of whack. For the family that we love more than anything in the world, to end up taking a back seat to the demands of our career.
Working Mom Worries
For women that are working moms the responsibility that we carry as providers sometimes radically affects how we mother our children. And because of how we are wired to give, love, stabilize and create the result is that we feel like we are failing EVEYRONE in our lives.
There are two things I want you to know right now:
- You ARE NOT actually failing.
- You ARE trying to find balance
Part of achieving the balance you so badly desire is understanding what kind of life you want to live in the first place. It is IMPOSSIBLE to create a better way forward for yourself and your family if you don’t know a.) where you want to go and b.) why you want to go there.
STOP-Find 15 Minutes to Clear Your Mind
Your life might feel like someone else is in control because you are moving forward on autopilot or simply reacting defensively as each day presents new challenges. If you can find 15 minutes to really consider the answer to a few simple questions I believe it will help you answer your questions as to what kind of life you want to live.
When You Have Time to Process, Answer these Questions
- What do you value most in the world?
- Does what you value shape how you live, work and spend your time?
- Do you feel like you are in the middle of creating the life you always wanted or more like you are on someone else’s journey?
- Do you feel good about yourself as a woman, mother, wife, sister, friend?
- Are you taking steps to pursue your dreams or are they on the back burner until you can find more time, energy, money?
- Do you feel like following your dreams is in keeping with what you value or works against it?
How to create the life you really want to live (Based On What You Value Most)
Finding the answer to these questions will help you take clear steps toward the life you really want to live with your family. When you answer these questions you’ll have the information you need to:
- Create a plan
- Prioritize family first
- Ensure that you live in keeping with what you value
- Move forward with confidence toward the kind of life you want for yourself and the people you love
Welcome to the Million Dollar Mama Club!
The Million Dollar Mama Club is founded by a mom and entrepreneur on a mission to help women align the pursuit of their passions with their values. When women understand why they have big dreams for themselves and their families and how their ideas can shape their destiny, real, incredible change begins.
We believe in helping women…
- Make the people they love the first priority
- Value their own ideas and dreams
- Create the kind of life they want for themselves and their families
- Balance family, career and personal passions
If you have ever experienced any of these emotions, this site is just for you:
- A sense of mom guilt
- Torn between work and family
- Worried that you are failing on all fronts
- Confused about where you are going and why
- Uncertain of the future
- Feel the fate of your finances is out of your control
- Exhausted by the demands of work and children
- Like your dreams are on the back burner
- A longing for a different way of living
Did this article on “How to create the life you really want to live,” resonate with you? Please comment below and let us know! We would love to hear what direction you are headed in.
Stay at Home Mom’s Guide to Starting Your First Business
By the end of this guide, you will: Understand the ins and out of starting your first business from home while always prioritizing your family first. You will need: A notebook A pen or pencil